Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Big Day Out Festival Melbourne

photo.JPG

Sunday. What a day. A hot sweaty mess of a day but a fabulous day spent with great people and amazing bands.

I decided 2 years ago after a pretty lacking Big Day Out festival that I would only attend if the lineup was right. This year the lineup felt right. With as much controversy that has surrounded the festival this year the line up offered me a nice mix of talented musicians ready to entertain me in the heat.

photo.JPG

photo.JPG
photo.JPG

It was such a hot day I spent around $20 on Calippo icy poles. Worth every penny. We also found the sprinklers and soaked ourselves after a few different bands. We also found an easy way to cool ourselves down - pour cold water over your feet, you'll thank me after you've tried it.

photo.JPG
photo.JPG

The first band we saw for the day was Cage The Elephant. A little background for you - 3 years ago when my sister and I were about to drive down Highway 1 in California she purchased their album from a Borders store in San Francisco (I naturally purchased the latest Jack's Mannequin album). She had been raving to me about this band that we didn't get a chance to see at the Lollapalooza Festival that we had just attended (they clashed with Kaiser Chiefs). We listened to that album for about 50% of the drive down to Los Angeles and I was hooked. This festival was the first time they've toured Australia and the first time we've managed to see them live. They were worth the wait - WOW! (Second photo was taken by my sister Crystal - and no he's not on the stage, he's standing ON the crowd after crowd surfing to the middle of the tent)

We went to their solo show last night and it was SOOOO good I think I need to write about it in a separate post.

photo.JPG
photo.JPG
photo.JPG
photo.JPG

We also saw The Vaccines, Architecture in Helsinki, Kasabian and Noel Gallagher (right decision over Kanye West) among other bands. The most perfect way to end our day was singing "Don't Look Back in Anger" with Noel Gallagher.

My festival festivities *cringe* are not over yet. I am lucky enough to be headed along to the Laneway Festival in Melbourne on Saturday to spend some time with some more glorious bands.

 - Brooke

P.S Things are going to look different around here soon - my new blog design is almost ready for installation by the lovely Kaelah from Little Chief Honeybee. I'm SO excited for the change. It looks so much more like me - she's AMAZING at what she does!!!

P.P.S For those obsessed with following the casting news for the new Les Miserables movie adaptation will be SO happy to hear that Taylor Swift is OUT and Samantha Barks is IN for Eponine. I was lucky enough to see her perform this role on the West End 2 years ago when I was in London. She is absolutely PERFECT!!! I'm relieved and happy (there's a cute little interview with her HERE)

No comments:

Post a Comment