Sunday, December 05, 2010

Craft attack: Holly clip

I did plan on posting photos from the 2 days we spent in Disneyland but I had a bit of a craft attack this week and I thought I'd share the outcome. 

For the past few years I've created my own little Christmas decoration to brighten my work uniform during December. It's makes it a little more special to me to make it myself. 

This year I got inspiration from etsy and the super crafty people on there and decided to make myself a holly leaf hair clip.

photo.JPG

What I used:
- dark green felt (about a 30cm square will do)
- light green felt (about a 30cm square will do too)
- fabric scissors
- green cotton
- white cotton
-sewing needle
- 3 x assorted red buttons
- holly leaf cut out on paper

photo.JPG

First I cut out 2 holly leaves out of the 2 different colored greens. I cut a slightly smaller sized holly leaf out of the darker green - this will create a nice contrast.

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

On the darker green I stitched the leaf vains into the felt with the white cotton.

photo.JPG

Once I had the leaf vains stitched into the dark green felt I pinned the dark green onto the lighter green felt and got out the sewing machine. I stitched a single row just inside the edge around the outline of the dark green felt to secure it.

photo.JPG

This is what the stitching looked like after the attack of the sewing machine. I guess you could hand stitch this step but it'd take a while to get it done.

photo.JPG

Once the stitching is complete sew on the three buttons at the "berry" end. I think it looks better if you can find 3 different styled buttons in different sizes but the same/similar color. Then attach the final product to a clip or headband - I used a large clip to secure it in my hair. I am going to look for a thin headband to secure it to because I think it'll stay in my hair better. 

I've been wearing this in my hair every day at work since the beginning of December. It makes me feel more festive.

Glitter sparks & happyness
x x x
Brooke

1 comment: