Monday, May 23, 2011

School Reunion madness

photo.JPG

On Saturday night I went to my 10 year High School Reunion. The above photo was the only one I took the entire night - I don't think I even had my camera with me.

I'll be honest, I had a bit of anxiety the week leading up to Saturday night. There was something about being placed back into the group of people I grew up with that just had me feeling a bit funny. 

I didn't have a terrible High School experience - there was no massive traumatic "Carrie" moment, no bullying, I wasn't an outsider, I had friends and for the most part was relatively happy, but there was just something that was bothering me all week. 

I was talking to a couple of friends about it before heading out on Saturday night we figured it possibly had something to do with seeing people who were there through all those awkward stages of growing up that was bringing back that feeling of being a 15 year old girl again. It also forces you to realise that 10 YEARS have gone by since High School - 10 YEARS! You're forced to sit down and take a good look at your life and the things you've done. I have to say I'm quite happy with my life experiences so far but it didn't stop the anxiety.

The worries were totally unfounded because I had a fantastic night. It was fun to hang out and chat to people who I haven't seen in 10 years. It was fun to find out about their lives and talk to them about what they've been doing for the past 10 years. It was fun to drink too much and laugh and giggle about lots of different silly things. It was fun to see who's married/engaged/single/has kids and it was fun to see so many happy people in one room. 

Saturday night made me realise that I grew up with some amazingly awesome people. It was great to re-connect with people who I've caught up with a little via facebook and to see that they are still just as awesome in real life. Everyone was lovely and were there to have a great fun time. I loved hearing about their successes and adventures. I laughed a lot and drank a lot and paid for it the next morning when I had to get up and go to the footy (which thankfully we ended up winning after a massive fourth quarter effort by the boys). 

It funny to think about how I was feeling at the start of the week - it just goes to show that sometimes we worry about silly little things and the worry is totally unnecessary. 

Less stressed
 - Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment