Saturday, December 21, 2013

Surviving Christmas Shopping

IMG_1415

So you've left your Christmas shopping to the last minute. That's ok, it doesn't have to be a hellish experience. I went Christmas shopping last weekend and I managed to get it done with a big smile on my face.

I did a few things before I went to the shops so that I would enjoy my shopping experience. It was 3 simple things. Want to know them?

1. Make a list - and check it twice. The best thing I did this year was write down everyone I needed to buy a gift for and had a few ideas written down for each of them. I wrote down possible shops that I could buy their gifts from to minimise the number of shops I'd need to visit. I WAS ORGANISED (which is not a normal thing for me)

2. Set some ground rules with yourself and your shopping buddy - My ground rules were simple. No Grinchy behaviour and SMILE. No complaining about other shoppers. Don't get stressed.

3. Make the decision to get it done - The only reason I had to go to one more store on the Sunday was because we found the perfect gift for one of my nieces and had to go to a different store in a different town to get it. Don't allow yourself to give up, power through and get it finished.

It's easy to forget why you're buying gifts at this time of the year. It's nice to sit back and remember that you're looking for a gift for someone you love and care about. Try and imagine their face when they open that perfect gift that you have found for them.

IMG_1409

Since I've done my shopping I have been able to just enjoy the lead up to Christmas. Today I made my first gingerbread house from a kit my Mum got me. I've wanted to make one for years and I'm so happy with how it turned out. It may not be perfect but I think that's a part of it's charm.

IMG_1411
IMG_1405

Do you have any tips for surviving the crowds? Share them below. Only 4 sleeps until the big day and those crowds are going to be massive. Just remember to breathe and smile if you are heading to the shops this week.

 - Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment