Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Film love: Australia

*oh Baz - you did it again *
I've just gotten home from watching one of the most beautiful movies I have seen this year.

No I'm not talking about Twilight (but give me a week and I will be) - I'm talking about Baz Lurhman's Australia.

I'm going to start this off with the fact that I am a Baz Lurhman junkie - I've loved every movie he has made so far - Strictly Ballroom, Romeo & Juliet, and ESPECIALLY Moulin Rogue. He is a master of the tragic love stories - the two people from different ends of the world falling in love and being forced apart by circumstances, family, life, beliefs or the world. I believe he is an amazing story-teller and an amazing filmmaker.

I'll be the first to admit that I went into the cinema excited - I was always going to like this movie. Even if the story wasn't great, I would love the way it was shot or if Nicole Kidman annoyed me I'd still love Hugh Jackman :) It didn't matter either way because it exceeded any expectation I held for it.

It starts off as your basic story of a "fish out of water" - English rose travels to Australia to sell her husbands’ cattle station only to be faced with corruption, manipulation, and a little mixed race Aboriginal boy who steals her heart. But then you realise that this movie has it all - it's a western, it's a love story, it's political, it's a war movie, it's a period piece - it has everything you would want in a movie.

It's beautifully shot with sweeping views of northern Australia throughout - the natural beauty of that area is like a bonus character of the movie.

While Hugh Jackman & Nicole Kidman shine in this movie it is the first time actor Brandon Walters who is a scene stealer. He does it with just a look, sometimes a few words, other times with boundless energy that you forget there is other people in the shot.

I won’t mention the story – I don’t want to give anything away. And don't even get me started on David Wenham - he's so brilliant I can't even talk about it.

I laughed, smiled, cried, cringed and cheered. It had Baz Lurhman written all over it and I loved it for that. It’s such a well crafted, well executed film and well timed film that the 2 ½ hours fly by - even without a toilet break :)

I do think that other countries might have a bit of trouble understanding some of the slang that is used in the film – cobber, bloke, sheila – but I think it was these little things that made me love it just that little bit more. I also think that this could be the reason why the reviews overseas have not been too favourable - to some Americans I think this movie may aswell be a foreign language film.

If anyone asks me I’ll tell them to see it – it’s so Australian it makes me smile and squee with happyness.


Have you seen Australia yet? What did you think? Are you going to see it?

Love & Sparkles
x x x
Brooke

Song of the moment = Jack's Mannequin - Doris Day

No comments:

Post a Comment